Savvy shoppers know that timing is everything—certain items are discounted during specific seasons and/or holidays. Some sales are tied to phasing out old models and bringing in the new, like cars, while others are long-standing traditions like Black Friday. Below is a monthly shopping guide provided by Chelsea Hudson, Shopping Expert at TopCashback.com (an awesome cashback site for online shopping):
What to buy in January
- Fitness equipment. Gotta keep up with those resolutions, right?
- Cruises. Cruise promotions roll out in January and last through March to entice travelers to purchase. January is like the Black Friday for the cruise industry. You’ll also see a drop in bookings in March and April, so you’ll find extra promotions to incentivize travelers.
Expert tip: Purchase your cruise package at least six months in advance and look for the lowest price guarantee to ensure you’re getting the best deal.
What to buy in February
- Candy and chocolate. Post-Valentine’s Day sales are a time for heavy discounts on candy and chocolate! If you want to stock up on candy, make sure to head to the stores on the 15th.
Expert tip: Since Valentine’s Day items are typically heart-shaped, purchase clearance items and repurpose them for Mother’s Day or your anniversary!
- Mattress. Presidents Day weekend brings some great mattress sales. Consider switching out your old mattress during these sales. For example, big stores like Macy’s and JCPenney will offer 65-75% off name-brand mattresses.
- Winter items. The end of February and beginning of March is when stores will clear their racks for spring inventory. This is when you can get rock-bottom prices on seasonal clothes like winter outerwear. Also look for low prices on winter sports gear like skis and snowboards
What to buy in March
- Luggage. With Spring Break around the corner, stores will drop their prices on luggage in March.
Expert tip: Make sure to check for coupons and deals. Sites like TopCashback.com will give you the best offers, plus cashback when you buy your luggage online!
What to buy in April
- Look for holiday sales. Clearance Easter candy and gifts, early deals for Mother’s Day and freebies on Tax Day (April 15) are all times you can save in April.
Expert tip: Check store circulars and e-mail newsletters to get the best deals or sales!
What to buy in May
- Spring apparel. Look for sales on clearance spring clothing this month.
- Furniture and home appliances. Memorial Day weekend is great for sales on these big ticket items!
What to buy in June
- Indoor activities. With the start of summer, most people head outdoors. This means you can usually find savings on indoor activities like movie tickets and gym memberships.
What to buy in July
- Amazon products. Amazon Prime Day is July 11. Amazon’s branded products like Fire TV devices, Fire tablets, Echo speakers and Kindle e-readers are heavily discounted on this day. Make sure to check Walmart and Target for large discounts on this day as well since they will be trying to compete with Amazon. Get a free trial of Amazon Prime for Prime Day.
Expert tip: Don’t be tempted by the Amazon sales on kitchen appliances. You’ll find similar or better deals during Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
What to buy in August
- Back-to-School items. Some states will offer sales tax holidays or tax-free weekends in August. This is the perfect time to buy BTS things like clothing and computers without paying sales tax.
- Summer items. Stores need to clear summer inventory to make room for fall items in August. Look for sales on summer apparel, shoes, patio furniture, and air conditioners. Labor Day weekend will bring another round of sales on big-ticket items like furniture, mattresses, appliances, and grills.
What to buy in September
- Laptops and computers. Keep benefiting from the back-to-school sales and pick up discounted electronics such as computers. Also look for warranties and free items, such as headphones, with purchase.
- Older iPhone models. In the past, Apple has announced new iPhone models in September. This means you can save hundreds of dollars on previous years’ models.
What to buy in October
- Summer items. If you didn’t already take advantage of summer sales in August and September, you’ll find outdoor furniture and clothes at rock-bottom clearance prices in October.
What to buy in November
- Halloween items. Think about shopping the post-Halloween sales starting November 1. Pick up decorations and costumes and store them away for next year!
- Electronics. Black Friday has become more of a month-long sale due to every store and online retailer fighting for your purchase. You’ll find especially great deals on electronics around Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
What to buy in December
- Holiday decorations. All seasonal items go on sale as soon as the holiday is over. Get clearance deals on wrapping paper, tags, ornaments, decorations, lights and more. Again, put them away for Hanukkah or Christmas next year. Get more tips for saving on holiday decorations.
Expert tip: Wait a week after any holiday during the year and you can find remaining seasonal decorations marked down to 90% off. It will be slim pickings, but you can buy quality items for mere pennies!