Staying happily married takes a lot of work. Paying attention to your relationship and its state is an important way to make sure you’re giving it the care it needs. Here are 20 ways to be a better spouse.
20 Tips to Help You Be a Better Spouse
- Be confident in your relationship and yourself.
- Be nice, especially when it’s easier to be mean or rude.
- Always assume the best and give your spouse the benefit of the doubt.
- Never compare your spouse to former partners and never complain about your spouse to someone else.
- Say you’re sorry and mean it sincerely when you’ve been wrong or unkind.
- Reminisce about your life together, often. It’s easy to remember the good times, but remember the bad times as an opportunity to grow or to laugh at.
- Think kind thoughts about your spouse, especially when they’re being difficult.
- Let go of past disagreements – you don’t have to tell your spouse, especially if you still disagree, just show it with your actions that you’ve moved on.
- Thank your spouse when he/she shares their emotions. Let them know it’s okay to cry or be angry.
- Be silly and have fun. Just be sure it’s fun for both of you and stop when it gets too intense.
- Be supportive if your spouse wants to improve themselves with education, exercise, etc., even if they’ve tried and failed before.
- Get interested in what makes your spouse happy, even if it’s not your passion.
- Show your gratitude and be thankful for the things your spouse does for you.
- Learn how to listen without giving advice or trying to fix the problem unless asked to do so. Don’t know? Just ask what he/she needs.
- Be honest and tell the truth unless it will hurt your spouse’s feelings. In that case, think of something truthful you can say with conviction instead.
- Never ask for your spouse’s opinion unless you really want to hear it and you’ll consider it.
- Take time off together and be present. Honor your time together by turning off distractions.
- Compliment your spouse to others in his/her presence.
- Be accepting of your partner’s flaws. Learn to look past them or find something positive in them.
- Keep your promises.
Looking for more ways to improve your marriage? Click on one of the posts listed below in the section “More survival techniques”, or check out the following recommended books:
- How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It
- The Relationship Alphabet: A Practical Guide to Better Connection for Couples
- Mindful Relationship Habits: 25 Practices for Couples to Enhance Intimacy, Nurture Closeness, and Grow a Deeper Connection
Did you enjoy this post about ways to be a better spouse? Share it with your spouse, friends or family using the share buttons below!