This post is sponsored by PetSmart® , and the BlogPaws Professional Pet Blogger Network. I am being compensated for helping spread the word about Containment Products and Education for your pet, but Newlywed Survival only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. PetSmart is not responsible for the content of this article.
One of the best things I did when my beagle, Honey, was a puppy, was have her sleep in a crate. Since we worked with a crate from day 1, she thinks of it as her home—a little den. If you haven’t introduced your dog to a crateyet, you definitely should. They are helpful for so many reasons.
Can a dog crate really feel like home?
- Overview: Crates, Gates, and Kennels
- Crate Training
- Store Locator
You may be wondering why a dog would actually like to go in a crate. I think about it as a place of her own. She can go there to escape, play with toys, or lay down and relax. Kind of like a man cave for your hubby!
How to make a dog crate feel like home
Just like a man cave needs a big screen TV and a comfortable couch, a dog crate needs to have some essential items to help your dog feel comfy. Here is what we include in our crate for Honey.
What we put in our dog crate
- We purchased a comfortable bed that is the perfect size for the crate. She really likes curling up in it.
- For when we are out, we put in an old t-shirt that I have worn. It has my smell and helps keep her calm.
- We make sure to have some of her favorite toys in the crate. These are toys that only stay in the crate. That way she looks forward to playing with them.
- When we first started out with the crate, we would give her a treat when she was inside and calm. Now we don’t do it all of the time, but sometimes I throw one in for her to enjoy.
- When she goes to sleep, I put an old tablecloth over the top of the crate. This helps block the sun in the morning and adds to the cave-like feel of the crate.
With these items in Honey’s dog crate, she enjoys going in at night. She will even go in during the day and sleep!
Does your dog have a crate? How do you make it like a home?