Mamoo’s Peach Cobbler
My friend Mandy recently shared this recipe from her grandmother, Mattie Kays, who made her cobbler with apples. However, Mandy’s tip is to use whatever fruit is in season….peach and blackberry are the family favorite!
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups Self-Rising Flour
1/2 stick Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening Sticks
OR 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
1/3 cup milk
2 cups peeled, finely chopped peaches
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. HEAT oven to 350º F. Place butter in a 13 x 9-inch (3-quart) baking dish; place in oven to melt. Combine sugar and water in medium saucepan; heat until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Set aside.
2. PLACE flour in medium bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir with fork just until mixture begins to pull away from sides of bowl.
3. KNEAD dough on lightly floured surface just until smooth. Roll out dough to a 12 x 10 x 1/4-inch rectangle.
4. COMBINE apples and cinnamon in medium bowl; stir to mix. Sprinkle apples evenly over dough. Beginning with long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Cut into 16 slices. Arrange slices in baking dish over melted butter. Pour sugar syrup carefully around and over rolls. (This looks like too much liquid, but crust will absorb it.)
5. BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Got a Kitchen Cabinet Recipe you want to share? Just send it to me and we’ll get you posted!