This post about holiday fire safety is sponsored by Safer Socket.
The holidays are a time of family get-togethers, gift giving and delicious meals. However, this joyous season can easily turn tragic with a fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association, an estimated 250 home fires annually are caused by Christmas trees and another 170 are caused by faulty holiday lighting. Following some of these tips for holiday decorations can help prevent a tragedy in your home this holiday season.
Preventing holiday fires
Live Christmas trees
Most people know that watering your Christmas tree can keep those pesky needles from ending up on the carpet. But did you know that watering your tree can prevent a fire? When a tree gets dried out, it can easily (and quickly) catch fire. A spark from a nearby fireplace, a lit cigarette too close to the tree, or a candle can set fire to your tree. Make sure you consistently water your tree before, during and after the holidays.
Battery operated candles are the safest during the holidays. If you have to use real-flame candles, make sure they aren’t near any flammables and are on a flat, sturdy surface. Never leave a lit candle unattended.
Prior to hanging lights inside (or outside) of your home, check to make sure they are in good condition with no cuts or fraying. Make sure that you only use UL labeled lighting and don’t overload your extension cords and sockets.
In addition to these holiday lighting tips, you should also invest in some Safer Sockets. What is a Safer Socket? Shown above, a Safer Socket is a fire prevention device that protects your home from the hidden dangers of an electrical fire started from overheated sockets and plugs. Once plugged in to your regular socket, the Safer Socket will monitor the temperature of not only the outlet, but also any appliances plugged into it. If the temperature gets too high, the Safer Socket will automatically shut off the plugged-in appliances.
If the LED indicator on the Safer Socket is green, the outlet and appliance plugged in are in a normal temperature range. If the LED indicator light is red it means that the temperature got too high and the Safer Socket shut down the plugged in appliance.
Check out this video for a more thorough explanation of the Safer Socket:
Ready to buy? Head over to the Safer Socket website to make a purchase. Right now, if you purchase 3 you get 1 free!
Where would you use a Safer Socket in your home?