This recipe has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.#BigGameTreats #CollectiveBias
I’ve mentioned in the past that my husband and father really enjoy watching football together. It is great because my dad has always been in a family of women. He grew up with 3 sisters and now has 2 daughters and 1 granddaughter. The time he spends with my hubby watching football is a great bonding time.
What do I do while they are watching the big game? I usually will watch with them, but I also like to get together with my mom and sister and come up with fun food to eat while we watch. This year I went to Walmart with a shopping game plan…
I headed to the candy aisle and picked up some of our favorite candy to munch on: SNICKERS® and Skittles®. I knew the Skittles would be great because they have various flavors that would allow us to show team spirit with the colors. I wanted to come up with something interesting with the SNICKERS. I asked my dad what he would want to eat during the game, and he said wings. I thought now what am I supposed to do with SNICKERS and wings?
Candy Cola Wings
If you’ve ever had a Mexican mole sauce, you know that the combination of chocolate and chili can be delicious. That is where the inspiration for these wings came from. Our family loves Mexican food, but not everyone loves a huge kick of spice. As shown below, this recipe is not spicy, but can very easily be made spicier for those that enjoy a kick.
- 3 1.86oz SNICKERS bars
- 2 cans of cola
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp chili powder (divided)
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce (divided)
- 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 stick of butter
- 24-30 wings
- Cooking oil
- Chopped peanuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Salt and pepper wings and lightly coat with oil.
- Bake wings for 25-35 minutes (make sure inside temperature of chicken is at least 165 degrees)
- While the wings are cooking, add the SNICKERS bars to a food processor and pulse until chopped into small pieces[img src="//newlywedsurvival.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/chopped-snickers-300x300.jpg" width="300" height="300" class="aligncenter size-medium" title="chopped SNICKERS in food processor" alt="chopped SNICKERS in food processor"]
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine the chopped SNICKERS, cola, half of the chili powder, chili sauce, half of the hot sauce, and cocoa powder.
- Stir and heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Lower heat and let simmer until it reduces by 3/4.
- In another saucepan melt the stick of butter and then add remaining chili powder and hot sauce.
- Add butter mixture to SNICKERS mixture and stir until combined.
- Put wings in a large bowl and pour sauce over them.
- Toss until coated.
- Place wings on serving dish and drizzle with sauce left in bowl.
- Sprinkle chopped peanuts on top of wings and serve.
If you do not like spicy wings, leave recipe as it is. If you want more spice, add more chili powder and/or hot sauce to the melted butter.
Game Day setup
As I mentioned before, the Skittles are great for showing team spirit. I took a bag of the Wild Berry flavor and separated the colors into different bowls. I liked the idea of showing a blue/green combo and a red/white/blue combo. However, I didn’t have any white. Fortunately, the blue cheese dressing added in the white I needed! What do you think of the setup?
What will you make with candy for the big game?