If you have a full-time job and not a lot of time to spend with your spouse, the last thing you want to do is leave work and spend another hour at the gym away from them. Lucky for you, there are a many ways you can get that exercise in as a couple and get in shape together!
9 Ways to get in shape together
- Couples who go to the gym together stay together. Okay, I made that up. But it should be a common saying. You can’t neglect exercise and you can’t neglect each other, so it only makes sense for you to go together and spend that workout time on treadmills close to each other or in a class together.
- Go skating. Ice Skating or Roller Skating – whichever you prefer. Hold hands, listen to cheesy music, and feel like giddy teenagers again while burning calories.
- Run together. Running is a great release, and it’s always more enjoyable (and safe) with a buddy. Take a run through a park, down a quiet street, or anywhere else you can. Race each other to the top of the hill. Make it fun!
- Go hiking. Or snowshoeing. Quiet times in the woods are fun, relaxing, and romantic. Put on your boots and head out. You can help each other through the rough spots.
- Take a dance class. Have you ever watched Dancing With the Stars? Every great dancer has a great partner. Dance classes are relatively inexpensive, a great workout, and a great way to spend some time together.
- Yard Work. Raking leaves, gardening, and shoveling snow are all easier to do when you do them with someone you love. They need to be done anyway, so you might as well both get the calorie burn out of it.
- Go bowling. Bowling is fantastic exercise. All that twisting and turning and carrying heavy balls around is great for your body, and if you do it with your spouse, it can be great for your marriage. A little healthy competition is a good thing.
- Join a team. Many communities have softball or baseball leagues. It’s exercise a few nights a week and you get to spend more time together.
- Sex, of course! Sex burns around 150 calories a half hour. It’s great cardio, too! Really, do you need more reasons to have sex?
Exercising with your spouse has both physical and emotional benefits. Your body and relationship get stronger at the same time. It doesn’t get much better than that!
Plus, you can shower together afterward (to save money of course)!
Any ideas to add? How do you and your spouse get in shape together?