It is official, it is now March Madness! This means game viewing with friends and final four parties. I’ve decided that this year we are going to have a Bloody Mary Bar for our next game day party. I don’t want it to be just any old bar, we are going to have an Extreme Bloody Mary Bar. Not sure what I mean? Read on, and I’ll also share our favorite Bloody Mary Recipe.
What is an Extreme Bloody Mary?
Have you ever seen those extreme milkshakes? Some restaurants pile candy, donuts, whip cream and even pieces of cake on top of a milkshake. Well, an Extreme Bloody Mary is similar. Instead of piling on sweet confections, you garnish with typical Bloody Mary garnishes and add in some game day appetizers. Basically, your party guests can hold their drink and munchies in one hand while watching the game. Not a fan of Bloody Marys? You can do the same thing but with your favorite beer or soda if you like.
What do you need for an Extreme Bloody Mary Bar?
If you just want to set up a regular Bloody Mary Bar, you will need the following ingredients:
- Plain tomato juice or V8
- Lime juice and/or cut up limes
- Lemon juice and/or cut up lemons
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot sauce
- Celery salt
- Black pepper
- Some typical Bloody Mary garnishes:
- Pickle spears
- Cucumber slices
If you’d like to make it extreme, add
- Some appetizers: Typical party apps like wings, chips, dip, sandwiches, cheese & pepperoni, etc.
- Skewers to put the appetizers on.
- Small condiment cups to put on skewers and hold dips and cocktail sauce. I used these plastic ones, but paper cups would be easier to put the skewers through.
Tips for setting up your Extreme Bloody Mary Bar
Your guests probably haven’t seen an Extreme Bloody Mary before, so they are going to need some help. Here are some tips to help you set up your Bloody Mary Bar in a way that will help people get the idea:
- Print out a photo example of an Extreme Bloody Mary and display it on the bar. Feel free to use one of my photos.
- Write out the following directions on a small chalkboard.
- Create your Bloody Mary.
- Add some apps to the skewers.
- Place the skewers in your drink.
- Make sure that the glasses you provide are heavy. You don’t want people’s drinks to fall over! I found mine at Walmart for $0.96 each. Here are some nice ones on Amazon.
- Have other drinks like beer and soda available for those who don’t want a Bloody Mary.
- Have some condiment cups already on skewers so people get the idea. If you are serving small chip bags (or popcorn like I did) put a couple of them on skewers as well.
- Make sure to include some plates for those who aren’t feeling ‘extreme’.
Obviously, everyone can make their own Bloody Mary, but if you are looking for a good recipe, the following one is our favorite. It has a nice spicy kick to it with the hot sauce and horseradish!
Stacey @ Newlywed Survival
Yields 1 cocktail
A delicious Bloody Mary with a kick!
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp celery salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups ice cubes
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 3/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp horseradish
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp hot sauce
- Moisten the rim of a highball glass.
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp celery salt on a small plate and dip the rim into salt. Discard excess.
- Fill a shaker 3/4 full with ice and put the remaining ice in the glass.
- Add remaining ingredients to the shaker; cover and shake for 10-15 seconds.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
So what do you think? Will you be having an Extreme Bloody Mary bar at your next party?