I don’t know about you, but out of all of the meals, breakfast is the toughest for me. I wake up and I’m not always hungry. Some mornings, just the thought of eggs makes me feel sick! Of course, I could down 2 bowls of sugary cereal no problem. I have had to be creative on days like this. I needed to come up with some options that will satisfy my sweet tooth but also keep me full. This is where the Chocolate Covered Cherry Oatmeal comes into play.
Not your mama’s oatmeal recipe
To me, plain oatmeal seems like it is better suited to patch drywall holes than to eat. I could put maple syrup, brown sugar and other sweet treats on it, but then I’d probably have a sugar crash in a few hours. What is the next best thing? Chocolate! Or, it’s less sweet relative, cocoa powder. Add in some fresh cherries, milk and (a small amount) of sugar, and you have a breakfast I can actually eat.
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup quick cook oats
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- 5-8 pitted, fresh cherries
- Sugar (optional)
- In a pan on the stove top heat 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tsp cocoa powder and sugar if desired (and face it, who doesn't desire?)
- Bring to a low boil and add oats.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until softened and liquid has reduced.
- Top with pitted, sliced cherries.
- Add a splash of milk on top if desired.
Do you think you would like this oatmeal recipe? How do you like to dress up your oatmeal?