I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Skinnygirl. I received a product sample and a promotional item to facilitate my review.
Football season comes with a weekend ritual for my family. My husband and my dad both love watching the Philadelphia Eagles games, so we usually go to my parents’ house so they can watch the games together. My parents will have munchies and dinner for us while we are there, and it isn’t always the best food for a woman on a diet (or one who should be… like me). Nachos, wings, and fried goodies are staples, and there will sometimes be a veggie tray to help “round out” the food groups.
Recently, I found out that Skinnygirl now makes hummus. If you haven’t heard of Skinnygirl before, they are a company that “believes women can have it all; a truly balanced lifestyle, with products to help them enjoy everything they love. No guilt. No hassle.” In my mind, they are best known for their skinny cocktails (which I have enjoyed many times at parties). I was thrilled to hear that they are branching out to include hummus, dips and salsas as well. This will set me up perfectly for football season!
Of course, with the name Skinnygirl, they have improved upon regular hummus by making it with non-fat Greek yogurt reducing the calories and fat in regular hummus. With 4 different flavors, you are sure to find one (or more) to love: Classic, Cilantro Jalapeno, Roasted Red Pepper, and Roasted Garlic. You can find it at Kroger, Hy-Vee, Fairway Market, Bristol Farms, Gelson’s, and Walmart.
Skinnygirl Hummus Cupcake Recipe
I decided to try the Roasted Red Pepper hummus in a new recipe for last weekend’s game at my parents’ house. I knew I was in for an uphill battle as my sister has never liked hummus, and the men probably would not think that hummus belonged at such a manly gathering. Boy was I surprised when all 24 of my Skinnygirl Hummus “Cupcakes” were devoured in no time! My sister couldn’t believe it was hummus and that she actually liked it – she ate 3 or 4!
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 (13.8 oz) roll refrigerated pizza crust dough (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 cup Skinnygirl Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1/2 cucumber sliced thinly
- red pepper to garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray 24 mini muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Form pizza dough into approximately a 14-inch by 12-inch rectangle.
- Use a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter to cut out 24 circles of dough. Or you can use a glass with approximately the same size opening.
- Press each circle of dough into the muffin cups.
- Use a fork to pierce the bottom of each pizza cup a couple of times. This will keep the dough from rising in the middle.
- Bake pizza cups 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Transfer cups to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Put hummus in a sandwich bag and cut off the tip of one corner (or use an icing bag if you have one).
- Squeeze bag and fill each pizza cup with hummus forming a peak at the top.
- Top with a couple of pieces of cucumber and a small sliver of red pepper.
I think that Skinnygirl Hummus will now be a staple at our football weekend get-togethers. Next time I am going to fill tortilla “dipper” chips with the Cilantro Jalapeno hummus. Doesn’t that sound good too?
What is your favorite way to eat hummus? Which flavor of Skinnygirl hummus will you try first?