Many people believe that the secret to a long, happy marriage is the little things you do to show you care. It’s easy to get roped into all kinds of life events, like jobs, kids, financial woes, and the like. But at the end of the day, if you know your spouse loves and values you, you can face any adversity together and come out as a stronger couple. Other than those 3 special words, there are a few things you can do to make sure your other half knows he or she is loved more and more each day.
Try these ways to say I love you
- Love notes aren’t just for high school. Stick a quick love note in the lunchbox of your love. When he or she sits down for lunch, they’ll pull out your note and know that you’re thinking of them. It’s a great way to put a smile on their faces for the rest of the day.
- Plan fun dates. Just because you’ve said “I do” doesn’t mean that dating is over. Couples need couple time. Try to find tickets to see his favorite team play or take her to the opera. Short on cash? Go on a picnic. It’s about being together and enjoying the company of the other person more than the actual event.
- Arrange for them to be alone. Even the happiest of couples need time to be alone. Give your wife a gift certificate for some pampering at a spa. Give your husband a membership to a golf course. Even if you don’t do those things together, your honey will feel loved and appreciated when you acknowledge their favorite things. (Note: Make sure you know your spouse pretty well before you go surprising him with things. Just because you enjoy being massaged by strangers doesn’t mean he will.)
- Hold hands. Next time you’re in public together, reach out and grab her hand. A simple touch reinforces the bond of unity.
- Make something. All gifts don’t have to be expensive. If you have a way with words, write a poem. If you’re artistic, draw a picture. If you’re a great cook, make a romantic dinner. If you’re good at woodworking, make a plaque with your wedding vows on it. A homemade gift shows that you care better than anything you can pick out at the store.
Of course, you can just come out and say “I love you”, but showing love doesn’t have to be with words. Letting someone know that you love them means respecting them, honoring them, and appreciating them. A marriage where people feel appreciated and loved is likely to be a marriage that will last forever.
What are your ways to say I love you to your spouse?