Getting your hair cut, colored, highlighted, straightened, washed and styled can add up to a huge expense and you need to do it about once per month. I have found a great way to save at hair salons and still get a quality cut!
Join and use Groupon
Every time I want to get my hair done, I go to Groupon to look for a new local deal. Once you have joined Groupon, you can narrow down the deals they have available in your area by clicking on a topic on the left side of the page. For hair salons you would choose “Beauty & Spas”. The next page will allow you to narrow down further. I choose “Hair & Styling” to get the salons that have deals in my area.
As you can see, there are currently 79 deals in my area. I look through them all and see which ones are best and then purchase!
Pros of Groupon:
- You can save 50-90% on your hair salon purchase!
- You get to try new salons.
Cons of Groupon:
- You can’t go to the same salon for another deal as it is usually for new customers. Check the fine print and it will say either “new customers only” or anyone who hasn’t gone to the salon in the past # months (it varies).
- You will probably get a new hair stylist that is trying to build up her client list. This could be a pro or a con!
Make sure to get cash back
I’m sure that most of you know that you get cash back with Discover, but did you know that you can also get more cash back by shopping through the Discover Card website? Right now you can get 5% cash back on your purchases through Groupon. So, on top of the savings you would normally get through the Groupon deal site, you will also get 5% cash back! Don’t have a Discover card? You can apply for one at the link below, or you can also get cash back from eBates and Mr. Rebates for Groupon.
- Become a Discover cardmember and you’ll get $50 Cashback Bonus with your 1st purchase within 3 mos. Plus you can get 5% back on Groupon purchases through the Discover card site.
- Become an eBates member and get 3% cash back when you shop at Groupon through the eBates site.
- Become a Mr. Rebates member and get 4% cash back when you shop at Groupon through the Mr. Rebates site.
So, make sure you check out one of those sites before you buy anything on Groupon!
If you shop through the Discover card website you will get 5% cash back on top of the 50-90% you are already saving through Groupon! For example, I just purchased a haircut, partial highlights, Kérastase conditioning treatment, blowout, & style that is normally $155 for only $59. That is a 62% savings.
On top of that savings I will get 5% back on the $59 since I purchased through the Discover card site. That means I will get $2.95 back for a total savings of $98.95 or 64%! Awesome!
Note: You should always tip the hair stylist based on the original price (before the Groupon and cash back).
How do you save money at hair salons?