When was the last time you had a conversation with your spouse? Not just a “how was your day,” but a real conversation where you learn about one another and share feelings about a topic? Today? Last week? Last month? It can be difficult to find the time and energy (yes, conversations take energy) to sit still and enjoy talking with your spouse.
Remember when you were dating? I know my husband and I could talk for hours and never run out of things to discuss. I would even talk to him on the phone for hours, and I HATE talking on the phone – shows how much I love this man, doesn’t it? Fortunately, we still talk like this, and we are around one another pretty much 24/7/365! I realize that we’ve only been married 7 years, but I think chances are very good we will always have long discussions with one another.
Get the conversation started
Are you looking for ways to get the conversation going? There are so many different questions you could ask one another that would really get you sharing and enjoying one another. In fact, there are many books that are solely about “conversation starters!” Here are some books you may want to check out. I am including some of the questions from each book to get you started. However, if you and your spouse really want to get the conversation started, I would get one of these books, randomly turn to a page and get the ball rolling!
- What are three things you need to hear me express more often?
- When do you find me most irresistibly attractive?
- In what ways has our marriage helped you believe in miracles?
- What item of clothing in my wardrobe do you really like to see me wear?
- Describe the home of one or both of your grandparents.
- What was something you really wanted but weren’t allowed to own as a child?
- What do you suggest I do in order to enjoy life more? Are there any changes you believe I could make?
- Are there times when you’d rather be alone than with me? Under what circumstances do you feel this way?
- If you could plan a trip for us to any place in the world, where would you choose to take us?
What interesting conversations have you and your spouse had lately?