This post contains affiliate links.
Decorating your newlywed home can be fun; especially if you create some of your own art. This DIY ampersand art is so easy and can be used in many different ways. If you haven’t used Washi Tape before, you are in for a treat. It is easy to work with and packs a punch when it comes to color. I would suggest using bright colors and designs like I did for mine, or going with a one-color theme with varying patterns. No matter what you choose, stick with a plain frame so that it doesn’t clash with the tape.
How to make DIY ampersand art
You will need:
- printer with black ink and printer paper
- white heavyweight paper
- glue stick
- washi tape in various patterns and colors
- Cricut (optional, but awesome)
- In a Word document, type a black ampersand using whatever font you like best.
- Adjust it to fit in your frame while still showing a good portion of the background.
- Print the ampersand, cut it out and set it aside.
- Trim a white sheet of paper (preferably heavyweight card stock) to fit inside the frame.
- Beginning at one edge of the paper, apply Washi Tape strips one after another until the paper is full.
- Trim with scissors or fold the Washi Tape over the edges of the paper.
- Turn the ampersand over and gently apply glue to all areas being careful to not rip the paper.
- Flip the ampersand over and position it in the center of the Washi Tape paper.
- Press gently to adhere the ampersand to the washi tape background.
- Insert the picture into your frame and you are done!
How to display your DIY ampersand art
This would look great on its own, but could also be used as part of a set. You could put it between two photos (one of you and one of your spouse). Or hang it on the wall with photos from your wedding. Or place it between 2 wooden initials representing each of you.
How would you use your DIY ampersand art in your home?