This recipe was made possible by Hamilton Beach.
Crepes are a popular French breakfast and dessert treat. They’re similar to American pancakes but much flatter and are filled with sweet or savory mixtures. While you may be used to crepes being sweet (picture them Nutella-filled with whip cream), they can also be used to make delicious dinners. That is what we have here with this Creamy Chicken Crepes recipe.
When mixing your crepe ingredients, you can use a whisk, but I prefer to use a hand mixer. The Soft Scrape™ Hand Mixer from Hamilton Beach is a great choice because its unique Soft Scrape™ attachments thoroughly incorporate ingredients as you mix. You can mix without having to constantly stop to scrape the bowl.
Tip: While crepe batter needs to rest before you cook it, you can easily make a dozen or more at one time to keep in your fridge or freezer and then reheat.
Tip: Heat the milk and butter before adding. This will help keep the batter from sticking to the pan when you flip the crepes.
Creamy Chicken Crepes Recipe
As mentioned above, to save time with this recipe, make the crepes ahead of time and freeze. You can also use leftover chicken from a roast chicken or grocery store rotisserie. All you’ll need to do is make the quick sauce and bake just long enough to heat up and melt everything.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup whole milk or cream
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic handful of pitted olives
- 1/2 lb cooked chicken pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheese such as Swiss or Gruyere
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour and salt with milk and butter until all lumps are removed and you are left with a smooth batter. Refrigerate for 45 - 60 minutes.
- When ready to cook heat a skillet on medium heat with a small pat of butter.
- Add a ladle of batter to the pan and move the skillet in a circular fashion to spread the batter to a thin layer.
- Cook on one side until the edges of the crepe start to release from the pan and then carefully flip over.
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Repeat until all of the batter is used - this recipe will make 10-15 depending on the size.
- In a pan add 2 Tbsp butter and flour. Mix to create a roux until the butter and flour come together.
- Slowly add milk or cream, whisking into roux. Keep mixing until it begins to thicken.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic, and olives and cook a few minutes longer. You'll be left with a medium thickness sauce. If it gets too thick, add some more milk.
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- In a crepe, add the pre-cooked chicken and wrap up as you would a burrito. Place in a baking pan (a square 8x8 works great). Repeat until you've got as many as you like.
- Pour the sauce over the top and add the shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven just until the cheese melts and begins to bubble.
- Serve hot!
Thanks to Hamilton Beach, two Newlywed Survival readers will have an easier time making crepes in their kitchen! They are offering a 6-Speed Soft Scrape hand mixer and 6-Speed Stand Mixer! Amazing, right?
To enter, just complete the easy mandatory entry below and then gain extra entries with the other optional tasks. After you enter here, make sure you hop along the linky below to enter more giveaways in the May is for Mamas Giveaway Hop hosted by Cheap is the New Classy.
Disclosure: I received Hamilton Beach products to facilitate this review.