Summer means barbecue season, but it does not mean that the slow cooker has to go into hibernation. On the contrary, the convenience of the slow cooker means that I can marry the two flavors for an easy meal that is bursting with slow roasted barbecue flavor.
This is one of my favorite dishes because it’s so easy and so good. I simply slow cook some lean chicken breast in a combination of beer and barbecue sauce all day. You can use any beer, but I prefer either a citrusy, hoppy IPA or a slightly sweet amber ale. I once used an apricot ale from Pyramid that was divine. For the barbecue sauce, I prefer a pit style barbecue sauce from a local business that has a slight kick to it. Together, these two ingredients make for a scrumptious shredded chicken.
These sliders would not be complete, though, without a layer of sweet pineapple slaw on the top. The crunch is the perfect partner for the tender chicken, and the sweetness of the pineapple balances out the slightly spicy sauce. Sandwiched in a doughy bun, summer cooking has never been better. Or easier.
Slow cooked, barbecue chicken shredded and topped with crunchy, sweet pineapple slaw
- 1/3 cup beer
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 8 slider buns
- Whisk together the beer and barbecue sauce.
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker and cover with the beer/bbq mixture.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 hours.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together the cabbage and carrots.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, pineapple, vinegar, olive oil, fennel seed and salt. Pour over the cabbage and carrots and mix well. Let sit for 30-60 minutes before serving.
- Shred the chicken breast and mix it back into the juices it cooked in.
- Serve the shredded chicken breast with the pineapple slaw on top (about 1/3 cup each) on a slider bun. Serves four people at 2 sliders each.