These apple cinnamon pancakes are gluten-free and will work for paleo and 21 Day Sugar Detox diets.
This post contains affiliate links.
At the beginning of the year, my dad and I decided to try the 21 Day Sugar Detox. Why? I know I have an addiction to sugar and I wanted to challenge myself. I didn’t think I could go 2 days without sugar let alone 3 weeks. We didn’t quite follow the actual program because we didn’t have the guidebook or recipe book to help us out (looking back, it probably would have been a bit easier with the books). However, I did a lot of research online, got a general idea of what to do and recipes to make.
Breakfast without sugar?
Breakfast is a difficult meal for me. I usually just drink coffee and don’t eat anything. If I do eat something, it is sweet. For some reason, I can’t deal with the idea of eating savory foods that early in the day. While we were trying the sugar detox, I looked for something sweet I could eat for breakfast and I came upon these apple cinnamon pancakes that tasted so good I didn’t even need to put maple syrup on them!
Apple cinnamon pancakes
If you look at the ingredients for this recipe, you will notice something about these pancakes. They don’t have any flour or baking powder. That means that they are gluten-free and lower in carbs so they are great for low carb diets. When I told my dad what was in them, he said it sounded like a fruit omelet; however, that doesn’t sound too delicious… I think “pancake” sounds better, don’t you?Apple Cinnamon Pancakes without flour? Yep, and they're good too!Click To Tweet
Ready to see how easy these are to make?
Check out this video:
Using green tipped bananas and a granny smith apple keeps this recipe within the limits of the 21 Day Sugar Detox. Although this fruit doesn’t make the pancakes overly sweet, the added cinnamon seems to fool me into thinking they are sweet! I just top mine with some butter and chow down.
Was I able to stick with it for 3 weeks?
Both my dad and I were able to stick with the program for the full 3 weeks. After the first week, it got much easier. I lost 5 pounds while following it, and my dad lost 10! He also lost inches in his waist. If you feel like you have an unnatural dependence on sugar, I really recommend trying this detox. I felt like I really accomplished something big and I am proud that I was able to do it.
Even though we aren’t following this detox anymore, I still make these apple cinnamon pancakes… they are that good!
What is your favorite pancake recipe? Have you ever tried to cut out sugar? Let me know in the comments below.
Yields 8 pancakes
A gluten-free pancake recipe that also works with the 21 Day Sugar Detox and Paleo diet.
- 2 Bananas (use green tipped for 21 Day Sugar Detox)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Apple (use Granny Smith for 21 Day Sugar Detox)
- 2 Tbs Peanut butter (or almond butter if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas using a fork.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the 2 eggs.
- Add whisked eggs to mashed bananas.
- Peel and dice the apple.
- Stir the bananas, eggs and apple together.
- Add peanut butter, cinnamon and vanilla to mixture.
- Stir until combined. Mixture should be a thick batter.
- Warm a griddle or frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Spray griddle with cooking spray. Alternatively, you can melt butter or coconut oil on the griddle.
- Pour batter forming circles no larger than the spatula you will use to turn them. This is important because the pancakes may be difficult to flip if they are too big.
- Cook until bubbles form on top (just like regular pancakes).
- Flip and cook for another minute.
Due to the cinnamon in the batter, your pancakes may look pretty dark. Don't worry, they are not burnt and will not taste burnt.
As you can see, this recipe is easy to adjust for the 21 Day Sugar Detox and a paleo diet.