Today’s workforce is extremely stressful, and it’s no secret that if you’re stressed out at work all the time, that stress spills out into other areas of your life. Stress takes a toll on your body, and sometimes even more of a toll on your marriage.
You can try to manage your own stress, but what about your spouse’s? Here are a few things you can do to help your spouse with stress:
- Be a good listener. If your spouse comes home grumpy, let him rant for a while. You may have no idea what he’s talking about in terms of his job, but if you just listen to him vent, he can get it all out and move on with home life. If he’s stewing about something all night, it’s not going to be good for either one of you. If you know about his field, you can always offer suggestions, but be sure to do so without sounding like you think you know his job better than him.
- Make dinner, mow the lawn, or clean out the garage. Every couple has their own way of doing things. Some homes are traditional, with the woman primarily taking care of the house, and some are more modern, with equal household responsibilities. Offer to take over for your spouse so that he doesn’t have to come home from work and do household chores for a while, even if that means you have to do chores you don’t like. Chances are, when the stressful period is over, he’ll return the favor.
- Find something to do to take his mind off of what’s bothering him. Go out on a date, snuggle on the couch with a good movie, or wind down with a few cocktails together. Try to make your home a safe haven from all the stressful things that are going on in the workplace.
- Offer to help if you can. Sometimes the smaller things are the biggest problem. If he is a salesperson, perhaps you can stuff envelopes. A mechanic? Maybe you can order the parts he needs. You’ll never know if there’s something you can do to help unless you ask.
- Offer a massage. The best kind of massages come from you, but if it’s not your thing, suggest that he go get one after work to relieve some of the stress. It’s amazing how quickly stress melts away when your body is relaxed.
The biggest rule here is to not add additional stress to an already stressed out person. Think about what you’d want your spouse to do if the tables were turned, and remember that helping each other through trials and tribulations makes a marriage stronger.
How do you help your spouse with stress from work? Leave a comment and help us all out!